One of my most cherished childhood memories is our family’s fulfillment, every December, of the “gift giving tree” at my father’s old office. We collected food, clothing, and toys, wrapped them up, wrote an accompanying note, and the gifts were then delivered to a range of agencies–many of them, as fate would have it, that are members of the Human Service Chamber.
After my father passed away in 2005, his office’s tree was renamed the “George Corey Gift Giving Tree.” I’m so proud that this is part of his legacy. My mother and I wanted to create a new tradition in his memory, however, that put us more proximate with the people we wanted to support. And so, every December since, we have served a meal with my father’s family and friends at the YWCA’s Family Center.
While I wish needs such as this were unnecessary–that poverty had been eradicated–while such needs persist, so shall we.
There are so many across our community who feel the same. It brings me great pride that our member agencies continue to do all they can to lighten the load that this time of year brings to bear for so many.
Accordingly, I hope you will join me in supporting some of the holiday drives our member agencies are hosting this year. Some drives, like Besa’s Adopt-a-Senior event, have already taken place. But here’s just a sampling of other do-gooding you can support this December:
- Clintonville Beechwold Community Resources Center is collecting food items, toys, gift cards, coats, hats, gloves, and socks. Please make your donation by December 13th. Click here for more details.
- Huckleberry House is asking people to adopt families. Those that sign up will be assigned specific items for each family. The agency is also accepting gift cards to Kroger and Walmart. Please make your donation by December 13th. Click here for more details.
- Jewish Family Services is collecting gift cards to stores that offer clothing, groceries, housewares, and toys. Donations can be made at any time, but are appreciated by December 16th.
- OhioGuidestone is collecting non-perishable food items, unwrapped new toys and games, and new hygiene essentials. Please make your donation by December 22nd. Please contact Tiffany Nobles with any questions.
- St. Stephen’s Community House is collecting non-perishable food items, financial donations, baby formula, and baby food. Please make your donation by December 19th. Click here for more details.
- United Schools Network is collecting toys, children’s clothes, jackets, hats, gloves, and shoes. Please make your donation by December 12th. Click here for more details.
- US Together has launched an “Adopt-a-Refugee” program. Please email the agency here to be matched with an individual or family that is right for you. Please make your donation by December 15th. Click here for more details.
Since this will be the final Chamber Chatter for 2019, please accept these wishes from the entire Corey family, and the entire Human Service Chamber family: May this holiday season treat you with the kindness and compassion you all show every day of the year. And if this time of year is difficult, may it land gently.
Thank you for all you do for our community, and for all the work we will do together in 2020.