Website Children's Defense Fund-Ohio
Reports to: Research Director
Collaborate: Research Director, Policy Associates, Partner Organizations, Grassroots Partners, data managers – state agencies, national organizations
Liaise: Affected individuals and communities
The Children’s Defense Fund (CDF) envisions a nation where marginalized children flourish, leaders prioritize their well-being and communities wield the power to ensure they thrive. CDF’s Leave No Child Behind® mission is to ensure every child a Healthy Start, a Head Start, a Fair Start, a Safe Start and a Moral Start in life and successful passage to adulthood with the help of caring families and communities
We serve and advocate for the largest, most diverse generation in America: the 74 million children and youth under the age of 18 and 30 million young adults under the age of 25, with particular attention to those living in poverty and communities of color. CDF partners with policymakers, aligned organizations and funders in this service. The Children’s Defense Fund is the only national, multi-issue advocacy organization working at the intersection of child well-being and racial justice by wielding the moral authority of programmatic proximity and community organizing to inform public policy. For more information visit www.childrensdefense.org.
The primary responsibility of the Policy Associate in the Ohio office is helping to develop and promote CDF’s state and federal policy and advocacy agenda to improve the odds for all children in America. The Policy Associate supports policy development and implementation, legislation, advocacy, research and public education in priority areas identified by communities of need, including economic justice, health and nutrition, child welfare, youth justice, education, early learning, and child care. This person will be part of the team driving CDF’s five-decade track record of achieving policy wins for children and families.
The Policy Associate is responsible for working with Children’s Defense Fund staff and partner organizations to help develop and advance CDF’s legislative agenda in Ohio and works with State Agencies and elected leadership to advance our priorities as well as supporting CDF and its partners’ and voices of experience to advance policy initiatives at the local, state and federal level.
The ideal candidate will have a successful track record of advocacy, analyzing and understanding policy and legislative and administrative processes, with a demonstrated commitment to and passion for children’s issues with a strong emphasis on marginalized children and advancing racial equity and child well-being.
- Develop and promote CDF’s policy and advocacy agenda to improve the odds for all children in the U.S.
- Assist the Ohio-based Senior Policy Associates, Policy Team, and Research Director in identifying and executing priorities and projects related to assigned issue policy, implementation, and administrative work at the state and federal level.
- Pitching, initiating, and completing work in policy issue areas to help develop policy recommendations for internal and external stakeholders.
- Represent CDF at other mission aligned organizations and coalitions, as well as at conferences, roundtables and policy events.
- Conduct comprehensive legislative, regulatory, administrative, and legal research and analysis related to CDF’s policy priorities and develop policy recommendations for both internal and external use.
- Write and help distribute fact sheets, talking points, blogs, reports, briefs, action alerts, and other materials related to CDF’s work.
- Compile evidence of the results of policy change at the federal, state, and local level.
- Work with other CDF departments, teams, and program staff to develop advocacy strategies at the intersection of policy, direct service, and community engagement.
- Help advise, assist, and represent policy across CDF departments
- Develop workshops and trainings for various audiences, including direct service and community partners.
- Work with other divisions within the Movement Building team to ensure that organizing efforts are informed by affected individuals and organizations.
Education And/or Experience
- Master’s degree in public policy, public/non-profit administration, law, social work, or other relevant field is preferred and relevant experience may be considered in place of an advanced degree.
- Expertise in policy analysis, writing, editing, problem-solving and public speaking.
- Attention to detail and deadline-driven timelines, and a high standard of work product.
- Relevant experience in lobbying and advocacy.
- A proven track record of working well as part of a team.
- Lived experience with the effects of public policy concerns impacting CDF’s constituencies and passion for these intersectional issues.
- Familiarity and experience with public policy on one or more of CDF’s areas of interest.
- Familiarity with relevant state policy institutions, including experience working in or with legislative bodies, Congress, or state & federal agencies.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Strength in managing multiple, complex priorities often with competing deadlines.
- A commitment to a high standard of work-product, deadline-driven timeliness, attention to detail, and driving toward results.
- Ability to contribute and support the contributions of teammates while working toward a common goal.
- Ability to develop collaborative relationships with policy staff at allied organizations to advance policy goals.
- Ability to think critically and creatively in identifying problems, strategies, and solutions.
- Strong communication skills through writing, speaking, and active listening.
- Coordination of resources and tasks, delegation, negotiation, and time management.
- Orientation to and background of servant leadership
- Passion for CDF’s mission and purpose and ability to communicate this passion to others
- Ability to serve as an advocate and exemplar for the vision, values, and mission of the Children’s Defense Fund
- Demonstrated strong relational skills
Type of work environment associated with the job
- Indoor, office setting, limited travel
Children’s Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Note: This job description does not restrict management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Consideration will be given to qualified candidates on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
All inquiries will remain confidential until the establishment of mutual, serious interest and provision of references for review. Questions regarding the role or position description may be submitted to Human Resources at email@example.com.
To apply for this vital role, please submit your cover letter, resume, 3 references, and a professional writing sample online at www.childrensdefense.org/jobs
To apply for this job please visit www.childrensdefense.org.